Mark’s Back Surgery — 1 Week Update: He is doing great! Several have called, texted, FB(ed), etc.., so to put your mind(s) at ease here are some answers to general questions that may be going through your head(s):
1) Is he bedridden? Answer: We brought a recliner down from the Media room and he hangs out there during the day. He is quite comfortable in it.
Outcome: He has found that he better be nice to me or I won’t come and remove his food tray and he’s stuck there — although, he did threaten that he can and will remove it on his own and it won’t be pretty.
2) Can he walk? Answer: Yes, he is getting up on his own at will and is now up to 2 – 18 minute strolls a day in our neighborhood. (working on concentrating to keep his back straight, shoulders back)
- Outcome: I’m doing the posture/walking with him and we both look like total snobs as we walk.
3) How was his Father’s Day? Answer: So/So, He was sure glad to be home, but I bought him a shower chair and a grabber for his Father’s Day gift.
- Outcome: He went and fetched the paper today with his old man grabber proclaiming he’s not embarrassed and was quite proud!
4) Is he in pain? Answer: For the first time in years, there is no pain shooting down his legs or hips. He is on Vicodin but less and less.
- Outcome: Overdid it a little yesterday but recognized it on his own and is committed to watching himself and his full recovery. Also, I wanted to spike his coffee this morning with a muscle relaxant because he tends to be “chatty Kathy” in the morning and I am not… especially on a week day while he is normally at work.
5) What is he doing with his time? Answer: Watching Fishing Shows, BBQ shows, Fishing shows, Western movies, Fishing Shows, Action movies, Fishing Shows, Sports Events, Fishing Shows…….And also: Job emails, Fishing Shows, Calling Co-workers, Fishing Shows….And also: Reading the Texas Aggie Message board, Fishing Shows, Sporting Magazines, Fishing Shows, etc….
- Outcome: He now wants to buy an $85,000 – 24 ft. Yellowfin Fishing boat, because he “can do so much with it”. And, I found that I can get sucked into watching a Bass tournament — when the theme is Bass fishermen dealing with sudden horrendous currents from huge amounts of water being dumped for power at a power plant dam. Notice — I like to watch the fishermen in crisis vs their fishing? ***Which is what will happen if he just shows up with a 24′ Yellowfin in our driveway. Which he has done before – a very long time ago with his BFF Don. A story for another day…
6) When will he go back to work? Answer: His follow up is next week and it depends on him. At first, he plans to go in for a few hours while I shop and run errands.
- Possible Outcome: He told me this morning that he is worried that I will outspend per hour his work income per hour while there, especially since I have to go to a jeweler and pick up his watch. Ok: I admit that I have a tendency to positively reinforce myself monetarily for being a good girl at times… Signed: Mark’s oh so great NURSE!
5 thoughts on “An Empty Nester Reality Check – Mark Get’s His 1st Surgery”
Fun reading..so glad he is healing…I’m sure it is because he has such a good nurse!! I know for a fact he is getting some good chicken soup…Thanks for sharing 🙂
So glad he is doing good. I was on Vicodin when I broke my shoulder. Wiped my memory for that time. He may forget you are spending his $$$$. 😱😻😇
Too funny D’Ann. Donny and I are really enjoying the updates and keeping up with Mark’s progress. We both wish him a speedy recovery and can’t wait for another WINO WEEKEND!!!!
You guys crack me up. Tell Mark I know he is smart enough not to screw up his back again.
Pingback: An Empty Nester Reality Check – Mark Get’s His 1st Surgery | One Flew Over The Empty Nest